Thursday 31 July 2014

Yandina Community Gardens



If you have a community garden in your area and have never visited it, I would urge you to do so. If you ever needed inspiration or advice to start your own garden, then these are the best places to go. You can see what grows well in your area and there are volunteers more than happy to answer your questions. I love the Yandina Community gardens even though they are a 40 minute drive away, because they are open on a Saturday morning, unlike my local gardens which are only open when I am at work. They also utilise permaculture principles which is always good to see in action.


This is an insect hotel full of different habitats to encourage beneficial insects into the garden.


An aquaponics garden using an old bath tub.


Raised beds with a variety of herbs and edible plants.


Banana circles are a central feature....


...as are the chickens.


I love the myriad of pathways linking up the various permaculture zones.


This is a hand made cobb oven...


...in the shape of a bullfrog.


This is a habitat to attract native bees.


A creative mosaic table.


Everywhere you look there is produce, citrus with underplantings of nasturtium.


And the homestead where you can swap produce, stop for a yarn or attend a workshop every now and then.

I will certainly be visiting again at the end of August because they have very cheap plants for sale - from $2, and I picked up some bargains last time I was here....and Costas from Gardening Australia is there for an open day and doing some presentations which I don't want to miss. Plus, on a Saturday Yandina has a great farmers market, so I am looking forward to that!

Do you have a community garden where you are?







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...