Monday 14 July 2014

Simple Living Sunday 34


Well, it's all about pumpkins at the moment. I had to pull up my vines due to the frost...twenty eight pumpkins were in my patch! So, together with the ones I picked before Christmas and over the last few weeks, my yield was about 35 pumpkins. This is my first time growing them and I would not expect such a huge result every time...they just kept going with the extended summer we had here. Pumpkin recipes anyone?


I have them on the back porch on the moment on a metal rack drying in the sun. I will turn them over in a couple of days. Some are only small (about a kilo) but most are 3 kilos or so. They should all ripen nicely with our lovely warm winter days.


I had a wander around the garden yesterday, checking out what was frost affected, and what was not...a good exercise for planting next year. I was hoping to yield before the usual frosty month of August...but mother nature changed my plans.


This calendula is one of the few flowers in my garden at the moment.


The passionfruit are just starting to ripen although I won't have as many as last year.


This kale in the gumtree garden is not as large as the ones growing in the lemon tree garden, and it handles the frost well.


The beans did not like it.


But the celery and lettuce were not affected.


Nor were the beetroot.


I was hoping to get tomatoes from this fellow before any frosts...no such luck.


I will plant corn earlier in the season next year.


The mystery leafy greens growing on my lawn are still thriving.


And a heavy dose of dipel, plus the frosts, seem to have kept the caterpillars at bay. I have quite a few broccoli heads growing...and they don't mind the frost.


My favourite red russian kale was also unaffected.


I have several huge piles of pumpkin vines for my compost heap. It was alot of fun pulling them up.


I am now able to get to the other side of the lime tree...and am still astounded by the abundance. I have been picking them for five months now...and they are still going :)


I have been using the slow cooker heaps lately. This is a potato and kale soup I made for my lunches this week....


...and a yummy lasagne for dinner last night.


We didn't do much over the school holidays as I was working but we did manage to get out for a game of ten pin bowling on Saturday.


We had a lot of laughs...and I managed to beat the boys, much to their disgust haha.

I hope you had a lovely weekend at your place. What would you do with so many pumpkins?

What did you get up to?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...