Thursday 20 February 2014

Cherry Tomato and Chilli Jam


A couple of weeks ago I decided to make a cherry tomato jam instead of my usual relish. My sister gave us a jar of chilli jam for Christmas which we polished off within a few weeks (it goes great with eggs in the morning!) so it inspired me to investigate making my own...plus the fact that I have chillies growing. I found a few recipes and adapted my own from the ingredients in my cupboard (and with far less sugar).


Ingredients:

750g cherry tomatoes
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 onions finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Red Chillies, chopped (3-4, depending how hot you like it)
5cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
250ml white wine vinegar
150g brown sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp pectin


Halve the cherry tomatoes.


Place all ingredients, except the soy sauce, into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer until reduced to a jam like consistency. This takes about 45 minutes. 


Add the fish sauce and cook for two more minutes before spooning into sterilised jars. I used pectin so that the jam would set without having to use too much sugar.


There you have it, two salsa jars full of cherry tomato and chilli jam. It is spicy and sweet and goes well with all meat. We put it on platters when we serve cheese and dip, and add it to the top of our Sunday Eggs Benny...yummo.

Have you every tried chilli or tomato jam?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...