Monday 2 December 2013

Monday Menu Plan - Golden Squash Chutney


I can't believe it is already December. We were away for the weekend so I will need to search the cupboard tonight for our Christmas tree and decorations. Now that we have a puppy I think the tree will need to sit on the ping pong table - she has a fetish for paper so Christmas presents would be way too tempting! I hope you are enjoying your Christmas preparations and that your house is looking festive. I made another beautiful chutney for my hampers (Simple Living Christmas), this time using the golden squash from my garden and thought I would share the recipe with you.

This is my menu plan for this week:

Monday - Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta
Tuesday - Tuna Mornay 
Wednesday - Chilli Beef Stir Fry with Quinoa
Thursday - Vegetable Lasagne
Friday - Steak Burgers
Saturday - Chicken Parmigiana and Potato Bake
Sunday - Rippa Rissoles and Mash

Golden Squash Chutney

I googled a few recipes and devised this one using the ingredients I had at home already.


Ingredients

500g squash - I think any squash or even pumpkin would suit this recipe. I left the golden skins on.
2 Green apples
1 cup cherry tomatoes (or two small tomatoes)
3 medium onions
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
1 pinch cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups dried fruit (this ingredient absolutely made the recipe!)
2 1/2 cups of malt vinegar


Chop the squash, apples, tomatoes and onions and place into a large saucepan with all the remaining ingredients. Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for two hours, stirring constantly.


Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal. This is a beautiful, fragrant chutney that is the perfect accompaniment for ham or chicken. We have been having it with cracker biscuits and cheese whilst enjoying a red wine or two.

This is only the second chutney I have ever made. The Spiced Beetroot and Orange Chutney I made for hampers was also really yummy. So, the savoury items on my list are turning out well so far.

Are you starting to bake for Christmas? What's for dinner at your house tonight?

Sharing my menu plan with Becci's Domestic Bliss.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...